With all this severe winter weather that has happened and is proceeding to happen, one must be cautioned about the potential problems of ice dams.
An ice dam has the potential to cause serious damage to both your roof and the inside of your home. It is important to take the right steps to protect your home from the risks associated with heavy snow and ice.
So, what is an ice dam?
An ice dam can form when water from melting snow re-freezes at the edge of your roofline. Without roof snow removal, the ice dam may grow large enough to prevent water from draining off the roof. The water can then back up underneath the roof shingles and make its way inside your home.
The risks of ice dams:
Ice dams are problematic because they force water to leak from the roof into the building envelope (ceiling and walls). This may lead to:
• rotted roof decking, rafters and exterior and interior wall framing and sheathing;
• respiratory illnesses (allergies, asthma, etc.) caused by mold growth;
• icicles form and can grow to gigantic sizes. These icicles, and the large mass of ice behind them, break off and can cause roof, gutter and siding damage, as well as injure, and even kill, people who are unlucky enough to be underneath them when the fall off, and;
• reduced effectiveness of insulation. Wet insulation doesn’t work well, and chronically wet insulation will not decompress even when it dries. Without working insulation, even more heat will escape to the roof where more snow will melt, causing more ice dams which, in turn, will lead to leaks; and
• peeling paint. Water from the leak will infiltrate wall cavities and cause paint to peel and blister. This may happen long after the ice dam has melted and thus not appear directly related to the ice dam.
So before these problems happen that cost thousands of dollars fix, you should take the necassary steps to remove these ice dams.
If you are in need of help to remove those ice dams, don’t hesitate to call Donaldson Home Improvement to remove them for you. Our trained crew will come to your home and remove the ice dams as quickly and efficiently as we can. We even provide pet friendly ice removal chemicals if need be.
Otherwise please be safe if removing them on your own.
Have a safe winter everyone!
-The Donaldson Team